Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Home made taco seasoning

While making my grocery list and printing recipes from my Pinterest board, I remembered I had pinned a homemade taco seasoning recipe. Sure, those packets you get in the store are super cheap at .50-$2.00 but you can make 5x the same stuff for the price, plus who knows what's in those little packages, not to mention they are loaded with sodium(something we have tried to cut back on in our house)... I keep hearing the phrase "If you make it, you know what's in it!" so I decided to make my own. 

First off, I store all of my spices in these little glass containers I bought from Bed Bath & Beyond. When I need a spice, I don't like having to look through all the spices in my pantry to find what I need. I just write what it is on the top of the container(mine have a white top, not black) and keep them in ABC order on the shelf. Why don't spice companies labels the tops of their spices, instead of the front?

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Ingredients

  • 1 part chili powder
  • 1 part ground cumin
  • 1 part garlic powder
  • 1 part onion powder
  • 1/4 – 1/2 part crushed red pepper

(I did include red peppers, just didn't get the container in the pic)

I just labeled one of my containers "Taco Seasoning" and put it in front of Thyme :) I then made a label to put on front that says 3 Tbspn = 1 packet so I know how much to use when I have a recipe that calls for 1 packet of seasoning. 3 Tablespoons may be a little heavy so you may want to use 2.

Now I can't wait to make something with it this next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and reply to every comment and I love to hear your feedback! Thanks for stopping by!