Monday, July 16, 2012

What I've been doing...

 A friend of Alan's gave us a huge basket of veggies on Friday. Corn, tomatoes(red and green), and speckled butter beans. We are also garden-sitting for one of our neighbors, which means we pick what is ready while they are gone. I gave some of them away. Even after giving away a lot of it,  I still had a ton left and I'm not one to throw away fresh garden fruits and veggies so I go to googling "How to freeze ...." I came across how to freeze tomatoes. Seems silly but I've never frozen anything but some blueberries and a few leftover veggies. Plus I'm all about eating fresh and not buying canned products.

I started by boiling a few tomatoes at a time until the skins started peeling. 
Yes, I mixed Roma with regular tomatoes :)
 
Roughly chopped them up until I had 2 cups
 
I then wrote on the bags and froze them flat!  
15 or so tomatoes gave me 6.5 cups(3 cans) of diced tomatoes!

I made half of the beans for supper the other night and I shelled these and they are now simmering in water, garlic and onion for the next hour or so until they are ready to freeze.

I got 6 cantaloupes from the neighbors garden yesterday and another 5 today! 
I cut up 1 for us, gave 2 to Alan's mom and am saving another 2 for my sister coming over tomorrow.
I can't bear to toss these and there will be another 10 ready probably by the time they get back! 
Who knew you could freeze cantaloupe?  I will start working on this during M's next nap or after Alan gets home, since I've decided to blog during her current nap :) Online it says to dice up the cantaloupe and freeze it in a single layer on a cookie sheet for 12-24 hours.
We have also been planning Madison's 1st birthday party. The guest list is made and I think we have a game plan for food and cake, which I need to schedule.. Just have to pick between 2 places.. Oh the decisions! I have been pinning like crazy ideas for the party. I will leave a teaser :) It won't be this elaborate but the color scheme is what I'm aiming for...

I am also currently working on her First Year photo book. I am so excited that some one told me about Mixbook. After Shutterfly was taking me days to edit 1 page and being so disappointed I wasn't going to be able to use it, I posted a Facebook status asking if anyone had any suggestions. My last boss told me about Mixbook and I was so thrilled to find a book I loved as much as the one on Shutterfly. Plus I'm able to put text anywhere I want and add pictures anywhere I want. Shutterfly was pretty restricting from what I could tell. I was worked on it from about 8pm-12am and got half of the book done! It's SO fast. I hope the quality is as good as it looks online. And a HUGE shout out to Stacy C. who is doing me a ginormous favor of redoing Madison's newborn photo cd since I was in tears because I couldn't track it down! :(  Thank you SO much Gwyn and Stacy :) 

We have also booked a vacation between now and her birthday. I'm so excited! We took a few days in February to go to Georgia but this time we are headed to the beach and I'm excited to see Wilma and Madison in the ocean/on the beach.  Booking the house was another story! We found the perfect house on a lake with a huge fenced in yard about 20 miles from downtown Charleston. We had all but paid for it when the owner emailed me and said she had a guy interested in renting it for the whole month and she would know by July 15 whether or not we could rent it. We were in a time crunch so we found another house within walking distance of the beach and we've paid half. The original lady emailed me today and said she was willing to rent it to us since she hasn't heard from the month-long renter. We are actually trying to cancel the house we've paid on to get the lake house. Sounds crazy to not be closer to the beach but we aren't going to be on the beach all day every day with a dog and a baby and the lake house would be more fun for Wilma and it looks so much more relaxing. Hoping for good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and reply to every comment and I love to hear your feedback! Thanks for stopping by!